Friday, August 01, 2008

'Rilla-pedia -or- Where Have You Gone, Tyrone Taylor?

Tyrone Taylor ('94-'98)

Softball
Taylor was an orginal Gorilla, and the founder of the '96 team name "Paul's Botique" (a Beastie Boys album.) He was a slick fielding 1st baseman with the ability to play 2nd and a penchant for hitting oppo-handed at any time. But most importantly he was the "Mayor" (Sean Casey-esque) of the pre-gorillas.

1994-'98 were some lean years for the team. A three win season was considered a success. The constant losing made some players dickheads... and yah, I'm lookin at you Snyder! Oh, shit I'm writing this! Correction: I'm lookin at you Baumgart! Taylor, who by the way looks like Tony Parker (Eva!!), was the calming influence in the dugout. Everyone liked him. When certain left-center fielders short-stops would start acting like an ass he would break it down Zen style. "D Jeff, It's just a game and no matter what we're going to drink some beer afterwards." Those kind of calming quotes kept this team from imploding.

Personal
Taylor was the x factor in the infancy of the RILLAS. He started at Northside BuyLow when it opened. Stokes, Baumgart, Bultman, Perigo, Fleming, (Daniel) North, McGrew, and Baggett (all future Gorillas) worked there and he was my best friend so we all connected. (An aside: Taylor was a damn near genius. He has a 154 IQ! I've known him since I was 5 and we took some test in the 6th grade. I'm sure his year as a Pre-rilla dropped some points, but the dude was smart.)

Today
Taylor is married with a couple of kids and is a Buy Low manager. I saw him at a wiffle ball reunion in June. There had to be over 100 people in attendance and once again Taylor was the genius (that never changes), the mayor (everyone loved him), and my best friend. Tyrone Taylor was a true Gorilla!

3 comments:

The Kid In The Big Sombrero said...

I love "Drunk, Sentimental, and Owns A Laptop" Snyder.

The Kid In The Big Sombrero said...

Also, I never met Tyron - and I'm sure he's a great guy - but MY personal favorite "Tryone" is Tryone Green, who penned this masterpiece:

Dark and lonely on a summer's night.
Kill my landlord. Kill my landlord.
Watchdog barking. Do he bite?
Kill my landlord. Kill my landlord.
Slip in his window. Break his neck.
Then his house I start to wreck.
Got no reason. What the heck?
Kill my landlord. Kill my landlord.
C-I-L-L my land lord!

Fishstickkittie said...

wow! snyder butchered that.

time to right this ship....